Open Monday | 10:00 a.m.- 1:00 p.m.*
Closed Tuesday - Friday
*Hours subject to change. Please contact us for Special Event & Holiday hours
Forget about boring volunteer work and dive into the excitement of working at the Central Coast Aquarium! We’re currently seeking motivated and reliable volunteers to join our organization.
Are you interested in working behind-the-scenes at an aquarium?
Are you passionate about educating and inspiring others to appreciate the amazing life that exists in our oceans?
If so, then volunteer at the Central Coast Aquarium. Our volunteers are the heart of our organization, and we wouldn’t exist without them. Thanks to the help of a dedicated group of volunteers who assist in all areas of the center’s programs, we’re able to open our doors every day.
Central Coast Aquarium volunteers are a community of people comprised of all ages, backgrounds and professional and student expertise. As a volunteer, you will support the mission in a variety of ways, including:
- Providing ocean science education to local students
- Inspiring and engaging the public through interactive presentations in the aquarium
- Promoting local community ocean conservation through educating visitors of all ages and encouraging stewardship for the environment
We have an abundance of volunteer opportunities available. Once you have decided on an area of interest, please fill out the online application below.
- Animal care and Husbandry: Aquaristing
- Aquarium Exhibit Hall Docent
- Advertising & Marketing
- School Program Instructors
- Summer Camp Counselors
- Special Events
We are primarily looking for long-term commitments so both the volunteer and organization can best benefit. Unfortunately, we do not offer any single-day or short-term volunteer positions at this time. Please check our news and events calendar for community volunteer events, such as Earth Day and California Coastal Clean Up Day.
- The minimum commitment is six months, preference is given to applicatants with long-term availablity.
- Volunteers must commit to one three-hour shift per week (exceptions made for school program department). This hourly commitment may increase depending on the exact volunteer position and needs of the organization.
- Volunteers must be 16 years of age or older. Occasional exceptions will be made for specific school projects and during the summer season when Jr. Volunteer Positions are available. All Jr. Volunteer applicants must commit to the same minimum time commitment of 6 months service and must demonstrate maturity, independence and a strong interest in the subject of marine science. We will begin accepting applications and interviewing applicants for Summer 2014 Jr. Volunteer Positions on May 1, 2014.
- All volunteers will be subject to background checks during an in person interview.
- Please note, all volunteer positions are unpaid.
Please fill out our online application here.
Once your application is submitted online, it will be carefully reviewed to determine if you are an appropriate match for the aquarium's volunteer program. You will hear back from us via email within one week of submission. Thank you for your interest in the Central Coast Aquarium!